The blog of an aspiring author, wending her way from first draft to edit, and hopefully to becoming not only agented but published. Can I get an agent by the end of the year? I certainly hope so! My name is Amy Goodwill, and the only way to get this done is to sit down, shut up and do it. Brain, fingers and keyboard. Nothing to it... right?

Sunday 20 April 2008

Linear and Non-linear writing

I'm a linear writer. When I say that, I mean that I write from beginning to end of whatever I'm writing, each scene following the previous scene in time as you progress through the novel, and basically never write scenes out of order.

A lot of writers work the other way around - write whatever they're thinking about at the time, regardless of where it fits into the book, then put everything together afterwards, like a film director does.

Each of these methods is equally valid, and work for different people for different reasons. I find it easier to progress through my story and incorporate character and relationship growth if I know exactly where I've already been and what has happened before the part I'm writing. Others find it easier to write whatever is most vivid to them at the time, to get it down on paper as fast as they can.

Today I wrote a scene that belongs two books in advance to where I am right now. It had been haunting me for days, and all the time new phrases and images were coming into my mind for it. Rarely has a scene come on so strong of its own accord, out of sequence. And so I wrote it down while the fire was still in me.

It's something to consider when you're writing, anyway. You don't have to start at the beginning and end at the end. If you're stuck, jump to a part you know you can write. Or just do it anyway, if the inspiration comes.

Nobody but you will ever know which bits you wrote first.

No comments: