The blog of an aspiring author, wending her way from first draft to edit, and hopefully to becoming not only agented but published. Can I get an agent by the end of the year? I certainly hope so! My name is Amy Goodwill, and the only way to get this done is to sit down, shut up and do it. Brain, fingers and keyboard. Nothing to it... right?

Thursday 3 April 2008

TIHFU: something new I'm trying

So I'm currently reading through The Complete Guide to Writing Fantasy, and in the very first (introductory) chapter, the writer makes a point I thought was really good.

If you want to write about history and politics and mythology and belief, why don't you go and read the books you've never thought of actually reading, the ones that actually talk about all of that in deep and meaningful ways, that have survived for hundreds of years?

I mean, who knows politics better than Machiavelli? And who did mythology better than the Greeks? The more you read, the more you'll know and the better your writing will be.

Makes sense to me. I've always wanted to be well read, so why not make it now?

I haven't started on the books I bought yet, for the simple reason that I'm on a hospital placement right now in Devon practicing my future trade and kicking ass at testing patients. But once I get a chance, I'm diving in. Why not expand my horizons and see if that expands my writing, too?

Books I bought, for now:

The Qu'ran, english translation
Greek Mythology text (well regarded one)
The Prince by Machiavelli
A General History of Pirates
In the Company of Demons (Renaissance demonology, Key of Solomon, that sort of thing)
The Art of War by Sun Tzu

I think the guy at the bookshop must have thought I was nuts for buying that random an assortment, but I'm looking forward to reading these and moving on to even more. I just hope I don't expand my mind so much that it won't fit between my ears any more :)

No comments: